New in 2017-18 • The Legacy Project
Using the Minnesota premiere of Hamilton as inspiration, Hennepin Theatre Trust will conduct a workshop series for a diverse group of Spotlight Education students to discuss and reflect on their own experiences as part of our multicultural society. Local artists working in the field will engage with participating students to explore musical theatre written by or about people of color. What’s more, participants will have the opportunity to tell their own stories. Through honest conversations and a deeper analysis of the cultural issues at the heart of musical theatre, participants will open their minds to new possibilities for the art form.
- Time Commitment: Participating students will attend workshops approximately once a month during this school year and into summer, 2018.
- Musical Theatre History— Students will delve into the historical influence of people of color in musical theatre.
- Storytelling—Students will practice new ways to express themselves through musical theatre by telling their own stories.
- Mentors: In small groups, students will work with a mentor, a local artist working in the field.
- Guest Artists: Additional guest theatre artists, leaders in diversity issues themselves, will also bring insights to the group.
- 3 Broadway Shows: As part of the program, participating students will attend three touring Broadway shows at the Orpheum Theatre, and afterward participate in post-show discussions with performers, focusing on issues of diversity and inclusion.
- Final Presentation: Students will present their final original work, developed through the workshop series, at the 2018 Spotlight Director/Student Leaders Conference in summer, 2018, and also at Hennepin Theatre Trust for local community leaders. Students will lead a post-show dialogue after each presentation/performance.
DUE: Applications due by Tuesday, December 5
Legacy Project Calendar:
Sun, Dec 17 — Session 11am-1pm at 900 Hennepin
Phantom of the Opera performance, 1pm at The Orpheum
Sun, Jan 21 — Session 1-5pm at 900 Hennepin
Sun, Feb 11 — Session 1-5pm at 900 Hennepin
Sun, Mar 11 — Session 11am-1pm at 900 Hennepin
School of Rock performance, 1pm at The Orpheum
Sun April 22 — Session 1-5pm at 900 Hennepin
Sun May 20 — Session 1-5pm at 900 Hennepin
June — Showcase
July — Director/Student Leader conference presentation
August — TBD